Constitution of the Republic of Kyrgyzstan (as of 2016) (excerpts)
Constitution of the Republic of Kyrgyzstan
State of emergency or martial law in the Kyrgyz Republic may be imposed only in the cases and
following the procedures established by the present Constitution and constitutional laws.
9. The President:
2) shall give warning, on grounds specified by constitutional law, of the possibility of
introducing a state of emergency, and where necessary shall introduce a state of emergency in
individual localities without prior declaration, providing prompt notification to the Jogorku Kenesh;
3) shall declare general or partial mobilization; shall announce a state of war in the event of
aggression to the Kyrgyz Republic and shall promptly submit this issue for consideration by the Jogorku
4) shall declare martial law in the interests of the defense of the country and the safety of its
citizens and shall promptly submit this issue for consideration by the Jogorku Kenesh.
5. The Jogorku Kenesh:
1) shall introduce the state of emergency in cases and in accordance with procedure envisaged in
the constitutional law, shall approve or repeal Presidential decrees on this matter;
6. The adoption of constitutional law and law altering state borders shall be prohibited during
the state of emergency and martial law.
4. Adoption of the law introducing changes to the present Constitution shall be prohibited
during a state of emergency or state of martial law.